Welcome to the Plain Jane Food Critic Blog

I decided to start writing this blog because I like food! I work a lot of hours and therefor its not always feasible for me to cook dinner because that will mean I'm eating really late, so its just sometimes easier to eat at a local restaurant.

So what you need to know. I'm not paid for this. I don't necessarily go to the fanciest of restaurants. I pay for my own meals, so what you'll read is what myself and my family truly think of the restaurants food.

I hope you enjoy and visit some of these places too! The recession has a real effect on them, so if you have a free day and you don't want to cook - maybe you'll try what we had!

Bon Appetite!

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weekend in San Francisco - Restaurants from all Cultures

My husband and I spent last weekend in San Francisco and visited several restaurants that we think you'll enjoy.

Hunan Homes Chinese. Located on Jackson Street in Chinatown and walkable to North Beach is a family tradition. Noticeable from the street by its blue and pink awning, Hunan Homes is Chinese with a Taiwan history. The restaurant is family owned and run. They also have a location in Los Altos, CA.

Hunan Homes has several specialities including their Hunan String beans, steamed and served with a dry crumbled pork, their Hunan Spicy Garlic Beef and of course you can order their Duck, (which requires the purchase of the whole duck.) Additionally, they are well known for the Honey Walnut Prawns, and as we looked around the restaurant just about every table had an order. My husband doesn't like seafood and I'm not a honey walnut fan myself, but every one I know who also goes there, loves them, (so I'll recommened them based on that.) Hunan Homes doesn't require reservations. They do have a banquet area, and my mom actually had her retirement party lunch from IBM there, which held 50 people comfortably and was reasonable in price. If you're looking for great Chinese, Hunan Homes is the place to be. (Located at 622 Jackson St, San Francisco.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capannina Italian Ristorante

Hubby and I had a nice dinner at Capannina Ristorante. We booked our reservation via Opentable.com and easily found a time that worked for us. Yelp recommended, the place was definitely hoping. We had a 730pm reservation and didn't realize that the Union Street Faire was happening that day, making it a bit difficult to get to because the street was blocked off. Fortunately we took a car service from the hotel and were dropped off just two blocks away.

We were seated right away. The place appears to hold about 50 people max, (may be more,) but was definitely full. The specials included a mozarella over brocollini, a seafood special and Veal scallopine with truffles. We ordered fairly quickly and each of us ordered a glass of wine. Hubby had the Pinot Grigio and I had the Sangiovese. They brought several baskets of bread and served it with a pesto oil, which was nice. The food came quite quickly. We enjoyed the saffron risotto with the beef. We also had an appetizer of mozarella with proscuitto which was outstanding.

The folks next to us had a lovely rack of lamb, which they appeared to enjoy and the carpaccio appetizer.

The waiters were quick to bring wine and bread.

It was very loud however in there, which made it a bit difficult to hear. On the bright side, you can eat outside. We were a bit overdressed, (dress slacks for both,) but was a nice evening overall. If you're in Cow Hollow/The Marina Area, be sure to stop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment